Thursday, August 16, 2018

Jayaruh #312

I began this brush handle a while back.The top is an odd piece of the walnut rifle stock I had left over. I glued it onto a piece of locust wood (first picture.) Then I put it on the lathe and did some turning. I was somewhat restricted by the odd shape of the walnut. I got it down to the shape in the second picture.

This is the initial glue up.

This is the shape after initial turning.

I was dissatisfied with the shape after the initial turning, so I set it aside. Today, I got it out and worked on it. In the first picture below you see the results of the first shaping. I used my little drum sander to shape it and then went to my dremmel for detail. I also made a hole for my 22mm synthetic horse knot. Now, I am getting happier.

After initial shaping with drum sander.


After I got the shape the way I liked it, I sealed and stained the top with dark walnut stain/sealer.



Then I used golden pecan stain/sealer for the bottom of the handle. Here are glamour shots.



The last thing I did today was to give it its number.


Finished up.
Handle: 76mm
Knot: 24x51 Synthetic Horse





No comments:

Post a Comment