Monday, June 15, 2020

Modification of English Flat Bottom NEW

I got this English Flat Bottom New in a lot of razors a long time ago. I kind of cleaned it up, but it had severe plating loss on one corner, so it sat around never used. I was inspired by Tom White and another shaver on TSD to do this modification. Tom had created a DE razor with no comb and the other shaver did the same modification I am doing here.

Before I started.

See the plating loss. That is the side that will go.

I clamped it in my vice to remove the comb with a hack saw.

The comb is now gone.

Now I am going to have to dress the cut and deal with the corrosion. 





I got most of the grunge off and now have a brush finish on the cap.




 I am calling this my Comb No-comb razor.
Here it is finished with my Razor Emporium Ball End Handle.
UPDATE:

I wanted to see if a half blade would work in this configuration. It looks like it will.


 It appears to clamp the blade in securely. I will be trying this out next week some time and will post results here.


2 comments:

  1. I hope this doesn't catch on. Flat Bottoms are among the very best of DE razors, and obviously there is limited supply since they were made in the 1930s. Every one that is destroyed is a great loss. Just saw any one of those CNC machined stainless steel gadgets in half.

    And for what it's worth, a razor with plate loss is not unusable. If you don't want to use it with damaged plating, it can easily be replated. It might not be worth the trouble for any razor, but it is most definitely worth it for a flat bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you are right. I have replated several razors already, and I have a number of great NEWs already. But, it is a great razor now, too. Had my first shave and it was awesome.

      Delete