Friday, May 21, 2021

I Make a Wooden Handle for an Enders Speed Razor

 I was asked if I could make a wooden handle for an Enders Speed Razor. I have made one for the Enders Speed Shaver, but this will be my first time for the ESR. Michael in Louisiana is sending me his Speed Razor. I used mine as a model to make three possible handles. I decided to make laminate handles. Two handles have walnut on the outside with oak in the middle. Then, I made one with oak on the outside with purple heart on the inside. Michael will get to pick the one he wants, then when his arrives, I will remove the old handle and fit the new one to his razor. I will sand and finish the handle with polycrylic and glue it into the handle. There is a pin in the end of the handle. I think I will be replacing it with a small screw. I will update this page as I progress. I am just waiting on the razor.


Update: 28 May

To get some knowledge and experience, I decided to change the handle on my Enders Speed Razor.  As a result, I found out some interesting things.  I tried grinding off the post on the top of the handle. I got it down level and tried to punch it out. By doing so, I broke off part of the head. Evidently on the two outside edges of the head there are some "wings" that go into slots in the handle. I got the handle out, but I broke off the "wings." No problem. I ground the edges of the head smooth and then began to fit it to the head. It took  a lot of fitting, until I got it just right.  Anywho, I found a nail to replace the stud on the top of the handle. I got it all put together with epoxy and let it set overnight. This morning I got out the razor and some sand paper. I got it all cleaned up, rounded the edges a bit, and finished it with polycrylic.  It is now drying and I will do a second coat of pollycrylic. It is going to look really nice. I think next week will be Enders Speed Razor with wooden handle week. I will put up pictures when it is finished. I did not do pictures of the process. 




No comments:

Post a Comment