Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Jayaruh #394 and 395 Started and Completed

I am making another Celtic knot brush for a fellow shaver, so I decided I would do two at the same time and make sure he gets the better of the two. Today, I did the cutting and gluing of both handles over the course of about 4 hours. Then the wife and I went to O'Charley's for dinner. After I got home, I finished off the blanks and clamped them for the night. Hopefully, tomorrow, I may get to do some turning.

I had a piece of Bolivian Rosewood that I had trimmed the corners off of. In the first picture, I have the knot inserts and am ready to make the first cut.


First cut.

First glue-up.

Second cut.
 I forgot to take pictures of the second glue-up and the third cut and glue-up.

Fourth cut.

Fourth glue-up.
 Here they are after we got back from O'Charley's.


Here I have trimmed the corners off the first blank.

Her they are clamped and ready to spend the night curing further.
Update: 11 Mar 2020

Today is preparation day. No solid foods for me today. I am prepping for tomorrow's colonoscopy. It was 50 degrees and clear at 9 AM, so I got out there and set up the lathe so I could turn the handles.

I set up the portable saw horses.

I got out the door half I use for a table top.

I got out the lathe. That sucker is heavy.

Got out the power supply and my turning tools.

Here is one of the handles after turning.

I created the knot holes. I will adjust after the knots arrive.
The knots and the crosses are scheduled for delivery on Friday 13th. Tomorrow, I will get scoped and then hopefully go out for a nice meal with the wife. I will take the day off pretty much.

Getting ready to do the first coat of polycrylic.

JR#394

JR#395

Waiting for the knots.
Waiting on the cross insert and the Maggard 26mm two-band badger fan knot.


Update: 13 Mar 2020

The crosses and the knots arrived today, and I fitted them to the handles.

JR#394 with 26mm high density 2-band badger fan knot.

JR#395 with 24mm 2-band badger fan knot.
left: 26mm high density knot
right: 24mm knot

No comments:

Post a Comment