Monday, July 30, 2018

Celtic Knot Jayaruh #310

I am using Brazilian Rosewood for the handle and birch for the Celtic knot. I have to make four cut and glues to prepare the handle to be turned. I am using a 35 degree angle for the cuts utilizing a gig that I made for that purpose.

This is after the first cut and glue sequence.

Another angle. There four clamps holding it tight.

This is after I have cleaned up the two cut and glues. Ready for the third cut.

Clamped after the third cut and glue sequence.


Cleaned up after the third cut and glue.


After the fourth cut and before the gluing.


This is the final glue and clamp sequence.

Now the handle will sit over night. I will turn it tomorrow. 

I have a silvertip badger on order. I have also ordered a gold cross that I will inlay on the bottom of the handle.
BS9279-4 SRTPGP  1" Berry Gold Cross Concho

It's turning day. Here is what I got done. I think it turned out very well.

Ready to go.

Starting to take shape.

Almost done.

Fresh off the lathe.

Hole for knot is created.

Just for show.

Ready for finishing.

Now I am waiting on the knot and the concho to finish it off. I have started the hole for the concho, but I will wait on its arrival so I can determine the best depth to set it. In the picture below I put a quarter in the bottom where the concho will go.


Update: After one coat of polycrylic, I wanted to take some pictures in the sunlight so you can see the rich color of this brush. Now, I am wanting to make me one for myself.




Update: Wednesday, August 1.

The concho was delivered today. The knot is scheduled for a Thursday delivery. I got the concho installed this afternoon. Here is what it looks like now.




Update: August 2, it is finished.

The knot arrived this afternoon.

I did a test dry fitting. It is a bit tall.


I drilled the hole a bit deeper to give the knot a little more backbone.
Final loft is 52mm.





No comments:

Post a Comment