Sunday, August 23, 2015

Jayaruh #17b Begins


When I started the Jayaruh #17, I was patterning it after the Omega Pro 98. It was going to be all wood. I thought, "Hey, I wonder if I can use the knot off the OP98 and put it in this new handle." So I got to investigating how the OP98 was put together and found out that the top just snapped off the bottom handle. 

That is when I decided to make a hybrid brush using the top of the OP98 and the bottom of the new handle. I cut the top off of the new handle, shaped it so that the top would receive it secruely, and put it all together.

After I finished the #17 brush, I posted it on TSD forum, and one of the members (Colonel_K) said that he took the bottom of the Omega Pro 98 and made a brush out of it. This is what he said:


Don't forget the bottom half of the handle of the 98.
Here's what I did as a little experiment. The knot is from a 24mm 2 band Vie Long brush that was too small for me.
I filled the cavity with Play Doh for extra weight and topped it with a coin for a level surface and glued the knot in. It was only supposed to be a temporary thing until I decided on a more permanent handle so I only used a rubber cement type glue.
The chrome ring is from the top half of the brush.
9 months later and I'm still using it.
I never expected it to last this long.




This got me to thinking that perhaps I can make another hybrid brush handle using the top of the wooden handle and the left over plastic handle of the OP98. I did some preliminary measures and broke out the Dremel. This is what I have now. I will have to do some tweaking, but I think this is going to work. This will be Jayaruh #17b.




Next step is to seal and finish the wood. I will epoxy the top to the handle.

August 24, 2015

Today, I sealed and stained with Minwax golden pecan. Next, I will finish it with polyurethane and then epoxy it onto the handle.


First coat of poly.

Mock up with black badger knot.

No comments:

Post a Comment