Sunday, April 19, 2015

Jayaruh Brush Handle #5

I started this brush on April 18. I cut it out of a block of pine. I did not take progress pictures, so these pictures are well along in the process. I set the saw blade to 30 degrees and made cuts until I had a blank that was a hexagonal prism. 


I set up my router table with a circular bit and made cuts down each face about two thirds the length of the blank. I then lowered the router bit and routed around the blank where the previous routings ended. After that, I started sanding and shaping. Using my knife, I tapered it to one end. Lots of sanding and shaping left this brush handle at this stage.  



I will be rounding the top into a circle. The overall shape is six sided. It is not perfect, but I say that that adds to its character.


I will also taper the bottom a little more and make it more circular.


April 20, 2015

These are pictures of the handle before making the hole. I used a nickel to mark where the hole would go.






I drilled out an area about 3/8 inch deep and big enough to get my Dremel coarse sander in, and I gently sanded it to the line until the nickel would fit nicely.




I did a little more sanding and shaping. The top is pretty close to being round. It is getting close to what I want it to be.







April 23, 2015

I stained the handle with a dark walnut stain, and put the first coat of polyurethane on it.



#6 with its brother #5 hung up to dry.

This is a dry fit of a badger knot I scavenged from the Chalula handle.
April 24, 2015


May 9, 20015

The knot arrived from China, and I completed the brush. I made the hole deeper to allow for a 50mm loft.



No comments:

Post a Comment