Friday, June 14, 2013

The Collection


Updated: May 30, 2014
Click on the picture above for a closer look at some of my razors. There are fifteen single-edged razors and fifteen double-edged razors. The ten razors on the left are Gem razors followed by five Schick razors. Lastly, there are twelve Gillettes, a Parker, Edwin Jagger 89, Merkur 37c, and a Utopia. For a long time I have been seeking a Gillette Fat Boy. I just won one on eBay and it arrived yeaterday. I had my first shave with it today. It is sure to become one of my favorites.

I have shaved with all of the razors. Each has its own character.  The Gems are different. You have to hold the head almost flat against the face. About 10 degrees is the optimum angle. They tend to sing or make a loud noise while cutting through the whiskers.

The Schicks are injector razors. The blades are narrow, and the razor delivers a fine shave. They can be a little aggressive. Again, each razor has its own character.

My double-edged razors fall into two categories:  three piece and butterfly razors. All of my Gillettes shave great; some better than others. The Parker butterfly has a problem aligning the razor. If you are not careful, you will end up with a razor that is mild on one side and aggressive on the other side. I noticed this, and upon examination, I noticed that the blade was exposed more on one side than the other. I discovered that I could seat the blade evenly if I was careful in closing the doors and aligning the blade manually.

Among my favorite razors are these:

No comments:

Post a Comment