Friday, February 22, 2013

The New - Replated

Gillette's New razor design was produced in the 1930s. Gillette introduced razors with the NEW head design in 1929, and continued to produce variants until 1940. There were three main variants of the NEW head design: De Luxe, long-comb, and short-comb. All NEW razors were three-piece double-edge designs. Mine has a short-comb and the bar handle. Razors were produced with both thick and thin bar handles, but the thick-handle design is more common. 


This is my Gillette New razor that, as you can see, has some patina on it. I decided to have it replated and just got back pictures today. I should receive it back Monday or Tuesday. The gentleman that did the replating is Sam Duran. I met him on a shaving forum Badger & Blade. He is a hobbist, restoring and replating in nickel. This is my only open comb DE razor, and even though it looked kind of yucky, I really liked the way it shaved. That is why I decided to give it new life with this referbish. I will post new pictures after it arrives. I am so excited.  Thanks, Sam, for a beautiful job.

Hard to believe, but this is the same razor.

A great design makes for a great shave.

1 comment: