Sunday, July 19, 2015

Barrel Handle Jayaruh #14

I was contacted by a gentleman on TSD who wanted a brush handle in the shape of a barrel. His vision was:

  • brush with a medium size quality boar knot? This is my idea of a finish..... A medium red oak stain with a gray over wash with the bands being a dark rust color. All with a matte finish. Burned into the barrel would be the initials JR. 
It sounded like a little much for me, but he said he would do the finishing if I could get the shape. I got to thinking about it, and I thought I might give it a try. So, this is what I have so far after some whittling with my Swiss Army knife and some sanding with coarse sandpaper. 


Update: July 20


I worked on the barrel handle today using my Swiss Army knife initially by making the hoops stand out. I used my Dremel to smooth out between the hoops, and then went to some 180 grit sandpaper to smooth out more and define the hoops more. Finally, I created a knot hole using my normal method of drawing the outline, drilling holes, joining the holes, and then smoothing it out with the drum sander.

 Top row: barrel roughed in (left), smoothed out (right)

Second row: knot hole to 20mm (left), almost there (right)



Update: July 21

The barrel keeps calling my name. I got out and did more sanding with 220 grit sandpaper. I cleaned it with paint thinner and let it dry. Then I used some Minwax Red Oak Stain and Seal to stain it. Below are the results. In the mean time, I am researching a gray over wash.
After final sanding

Cleaned with paint thinner

Stained and sealed with red oak



I did a test for the gray wash on a piece of wood that I had did a test for the stain on previously. Not too bad, but I think I need to lighten it up a bit.



This is what it would look like with
a 24 mm boar knot.
Inscribed: JR 14
Updated: July 22

I applied the gray wash today. It is coming along. Now I have to get the color of the hoops right.




August 21: Finished



Post bloom

Update: August 31
Packed up the #14 to send to Dzia_Dzia.

No comments:

Post a Comment