Saturday, December 5, 2015

Schick Repeating Razor - Type C

A friend from The Shave Den (Mark) and I made a trade yesterday. We met in Asheville, NC, and had a nice visit as we made a trade: my Jayaruh #8 badger brush for his Schick Type C razor. The razor was made from 1933 to 1941.  Schick "injector" style razors were modeled after semi-automatic rifles from WWI. Col. Jacob Schick was fascinated with the idea of never touching the blade for loading / unloading.

Mark even threw in a piece of osage orange wood that I will be using for a couple of brush handles in the near future. The first two pictures are of the razor on top of the piece of wood.



The next series of pictures are of the process of loading a blade. It originally came with a cartridge of 20 blades that slid into the handle. I just put one blade in the holder. I won't be keeping blades in the handle.

Here I have removed the blade holder.

I have put one blade in the holder.

I inserted the blade holder into the handle.

After closing the end, I pulled back the plunger.

It was pretty stiff, but I got the plunger going and you can see
the blade entering the head.

Here the blade in fully loaded.

After rotating the head, it is ready for a shave.

Ready to go.

6 comments:

  1. I have never seen one of those before, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. This is my first. I had only seen pictures before. It is pretty cool.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully someone will still get thread notifications from this thread. I've acquired a couple type C repeaters recently but am totally blind so pics are useless in terms of figuring these things out. Could you provide instructions for how to remove the blade holder from the handle? Apparently there's some door you flip, but I'm clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the head in the down/storage position, you will find two serrated areas on the end of the handle. The bottom half is the door that you have to pull straight back. It will come back about three-quarters of an inch and then drop down. That allows you to access the tray. Modern blades do not work well with these old razors. The original blades were thicker. The top serrated part is for injecting the blades. If you had blades in the tray, you would pull the top part back about two inches and then push it forward thus advancing the next blade. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm going to play around with it today and see if I can get it working. Both serrated ends seem stiff but this is probably due to the fact these razors are so old. So you squeeze both tabs on the bottom half and pull back to flip the door down? I have some NOS blade cartridges made by Magazine Repeating Co so they should work, even though they're the actual injectors with the keys. I'm pretty sure they were made for the D's and later, before Schick sold the rights to a different company. It's actually quite simple to load blades into the head manually, though one of my C's has serrated teeth for the guard so this makes taking the blade from the head a little more difficult than with my other one. Mainly interested in loading 20 blades for travel purposes, as I travel by plane frequently and rarely take checked baggage. I've heard airport security typically let repeater razors slide through security checks.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but I would give it a good soak in some warm Dawn water. It may help loosen things up.

      Delete