Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Jayaruh #38 Started

After cutting up the osage orange board and making two brush handles, I had three irregular pieces left that I glued together for a third handle. I had six clamps holding them together for a couple of days. Today, I unclamped them and began making the blank. I first cut it into a square shape. Then, I cut the corners making it an octagonal shape. Next, I rounded off the corners making the cylindrical blank. At this point, I have no idea what shape brush handle is contained in this blank. I must remove everything that does not look like a brush handle, and then I will have my 38th brush handle.

Update: December 16
I started shaping the handle today, and ended up with a pretty nice shape. The sixth picture on show what was accomplished today. I shaped it, put the hole in it, dry fitted it, stained and sealed it, branded it, and put a coat of polyurethane on it. It was a productive day. I received a high mountain badger 22mm knot today in the mail from Mark on The Shave Den. It got here just in time for this handle. I did a test lather with it using Semogue Lavender. It is drying now, so I will be able to fit in the handle tomorrow.


From clamped to blank.









Update: December 17
High mountain badger post bloom.

Knot set with silicone.

Glamour shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment