Saturday, December 26, 2015

Jayaruh #40 Has Begun

JR#40 will be a stubby brush. It is made from walnut. In the picture you can see a blank on the left and the beginnings of #40 on the right.










The final shape...


Sealed and stained with dark walnut...


Dry fit of pure badger...

JR40 painted.

After first coat of polyurethane...
 Left, horse hair: right, pure badger.


Update: February 8

I decided to change out the pure badger knot with a new Ubersoft 2 synthetic knot. I easily pulled the knot since it was set with silicone. I cleaned up the hole and had to make it a bit wider to accommodate the 24mm synthetic. I sealed the bare wood and set it aside to dry. Next, I set the new knot with GE clear silicone.

Old knot pulled and cleaned.

New Ubersoft 2 knot.

Ubersoft 2 ready to be set.

Knot set with silicone.

JR#40 with Gillette President.


2 comments:

  1. It's good to see you back at it again. You are really nailing down your craft. Each brush is getting to look more and more enticing to the eye.
    Great work Jim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Don. You just do not know the joy I get out of making these handles. It is time consuming, but then, I am retired. HA!

      Delete