Thursday, August 13, 2015

Working with Some Wood

I got some pieces of wood in a recent trade. Today, I started working with some of it. First off, there were two pieces of wood that were pen blanks, koa wood. I glued them together and clamped them really tight. I will let them set for 24 hours and cut it in half and glue them together again. That way I will have a square piece that I can shape into another handle.


Edit: Next day. I cut the piece in half and glued it into a square. Setting it aside to dry.




Next is a piece of Spalted Maple. 
  1. Spalting is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Although primarily found in dead trees, spalting can also occur under stressed tree conditions or even in living trees.
I drew a circle on the top and on the bottom and began to cut it down and shape it into a cylinder.

 


  
It is coming along. Now, I will have to think of what kind of shape to make it into.






No comments:

Post a Comment