Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Jayaruh #74 and #75 Complete



I am making these two brother brushes for Tom White at The Shaving Den. They are patterned after the #56 (I still have) and #57 (Tom has), also brother brushes. One will have a black badger knot and the other a boar knot. Here is the first day's progress.

I started with two three inch lengths of pine that I had made into octagonal shapes.


Next, I marked off circles on the top and bottom of each piece.

I rounded off each piece into cylindrical shapes. 

Using the #56 as the pattern, I am ready to begin shaping each piece.

Here I mark off key points on each brush.

After some shaping, the handles begin to take on the desired appearance.

Here are the results of creating the 25mm holes and much hand sanding. They will undergo additional hand sanding before I apply the sealer/stain.

I got a coat of red oak sealer/stain on the handles.




Update: May 27, 2016

The knots came in today, so I was able to do a dry fitting. Will be setting the knots tomorrow with silicone.

Jayaruh #74 boar
Jayaruh #75 black badger



Update: May 28, 2016

They are finished. I have set the knots with silicone. Here they are all done and getting ready to go to their new home in California.




No comments:

Post a Comment