Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Jayaruh #70 Complete


I had a piece of Wenge wood that was about 3 inches long. I cut one inch off of it and glued it up with a one inch piece of oak to make this new handle.











I made the brush for a 24mm knot, but I didn't have one. This is a 22mm knot. I will have to order a 24mm knot.


I decided to put a silvertip badger in this handle. I have ordered one from Virginia Shaving in China. I will finish up this handle and wait 2-3 weeks while the knot makes its way here.


Update: May 20, 2016

I decided to go ahead and put the 22mm Maggard synthetic knot in the #70 handle. When the VS 24mm silvertip arrives, I will either switch them out or use it for another, yet to be created, handle.





Update: May 28, 2016

The silvertip badger came in today, and I decided that it really needed to go in its intended handle, the Jayaruh #70.  I easily removed the Maggard synthetic and cleaned out the hole. I had to do a little Dremel work so the knot would fit properly.


I also made the decision to epoxy this knot in the handle. It will be a permanent part of this brush. I am very happy with the way this one came out.


First latherings:

I used VDH Delux Shave Cream for the first lathering. After wetting the brush, I loaded it for 30 seconds on the VDH.




Next, I broke out the TOBS Grapefruit. Ten swirls with it, and this is what I got.






No comments:

Post a Comment