Monday, May 23, 2016

Jayaruh #73 Begins

Canadia Rob sent me a piece of Purpleheart wood. It was a very unexpected but pleasant surprise. I cut off a two inch piece and began work on Jayaruh #73. Here is what I have so far.



I had an old ratty badger knot I was not using, so I stuck it in just for the following pictures.


Then, I remembered that I had a nice Maggard 22mm synthetic knot. The next pictures are with it.






I have the basic shape. It will probably undergo a little refining though. I am thinking that with this handle I am going to get some type of oil finish for it. I have to do a little research for now, but I want to preserve the wood grain as much as possible on this one.

Update: May 26, 2016

After some research, I have decided to stick to the tried and true method of finishing. I have decided to use polyurethane to finish it. Glamour shots are with the Maggard synthetic.






No comments:

Post a Comment