Friday, October 23, 2015

Jayaruh #27 Finished




In the first row above, first frame, is what I started with. Weeks ago, I glued some pieces of bird's eye maple together and made four rough handles. This was one of them. It is just eight sides that taper towards the top. I was corresponding with a new friend, Martin of Denmark, about making him a custom brush. This was one that we discussed, but he decided on a larger handle. I decided to take this one and shape it into a replica of a Made Rite handle that I have. The next three pictures are the Whipped Dog silvertip knot that I de-funked for this handle. At the time I did not know which handle it would go into because I had nine handles without knots. After dry fitting it into all the handles, this is the one that won the competition.. 

In the second row the first two pictures are the dry fitting with this handle. I had not finished it. The last three pictures on row two are after I stained it with golden oak stain.  I put the knot in just to see how it looked. Pretty good, I thought.

In the last row, I have branded the handle JR 27. I used silicone to set the knot. First I put a bead around the edge and a dab in the center. Next, I pushed the knot down into the silicone and twisted it. I pulled it out just to check the coverage.  Satisfied, I put the knot back in and twisted it again for good measure. The last two pictures are the handle with the knot newly set. Now, it is set aside to cure for 24 hours.

6 comments:

  1. Great color stain for the maple. Beauty of a brush. Your giving me a brush disorder. Lol. Looking forward to ordering a knot got #24.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don. Sorry about the disorder thing. I am looking forward to seeing the #24 complete, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really nice! Indeed a good choice of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried your JR #27 this morning for the first time. Sweet brush. Thanks for sending it my way!

    All the best,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I'm sure it has a good home.

      Delete