Monday, October 12, 2015

Jayaruh #25 Begins

My friend, Don, on The Shave Den, is sending me a synthetic knot for my birthday. I have nine handles now without knots, and what do I do? I make a new handle for the new knot. I had some wild cherry lying around that I had already shaped into a cylinder. I had to decide on a shape, so I took a look at all my brushes and decided on the shape of a Made Rite that I had reknotted earlier.

Whipped Dog Synthetic

In the first picture the Made Rite handle is atop a square blank of wild cherry. In the middle is a cylinder blank of wild cherry. On the end is the finished brush handle.


So far, this is what I have. In the original handle the top part tapers in from the bottom. In mine, I have not taper the top, so it is sort of a fat version of the Made Rite. The knot that is coming is a 22 mm knot so it is bigger than the 20 mm boar in the Made Rite. When it gets here, I will have to adjust the knot hole to fit the new knot.



Update: October 13




Update: October 17

The 22 mm synthetic knot arrived today from Whipped Dog. It is a beautiful knot. It measured 21.28 mm on my new calipers. I had to widen the top of the knot hole so the knot would easily slide into the handle. I then sealed the inside of the hole with a coat of polyurethane in preparation for setting the knot with silicone.





The Process

The finished product.

7 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful piece of wood. That is a great looking handle. What stain will you be using? Or if that to be determined? You can't stop, can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Don. The wood is from a tree that used to grow in our back yard. I may just put a clear finish on this one. I like the grain on it, and I don't want to hide it.

      Delete
  2. I really like the look with that clear coat. Nice color and grain. I'm excited to see it with the knot and bloom, what little there is with a synthetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knot is due for delivery Friday. I am really interested to see how a synthetic works out.

      Delete
  3. I have an Omega Hi-Brush synthetic. It is very soft with enough backbone for face lathering. It reminds me of a couple Wooster paint brushes I own. GD Carrington and I discussed the fibers being very similar and determined that they probably came from the same fiber manufacturer. I've read on the forum that Larry's synthetics are very good. Looking forward to the completion and posting of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That knot looks much fulller than my Omega. That's a beautiful looking brush. I'm sure you will really enjoy it and will give your impressions after your first few uses. Enjoy it Jim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of synthetics i got from China and they just do not compare to this. I am looking forward to the first shave.

      Delete