Thursday, October 8, 2015

Jayaruh #23 Brush Begins

Updated: January 29, 2016
JR#23 has a new home. It was adopted by Chris in Massachusetts. Here is a picture of it in its new home. Chris also got one of my Fat Handle Techs.



Original Post


This handle is made from two pieces of bird's eye maple glued together. I cut it into a hexagonal shape and then using my Dremel I got it down to this shape. Finally, I put a knot hole in it to support a 24 mm knot. I have a 24 mm silver tip knot coming from Whipped Dog. I will wait on deciding what finish to use until I see the new knot.






Update: October 10

I decided on the dark walnut finish. I stained it on the 9th, and today, I set the knot.

I dry fitted the 24 mm silver tip badger knot.




The quarter is the size of the hole. The hole is .62 inch deep. The base of the knot is a little smaller than the quarter.


I decided to use silicone to set the knot. I put a bead around the edge and a little dab in the middle, then I put the knot in and turned it back and forth to see how much it covered. I was satisfied that it would be enough to set the knot, so I put it back in and turned back and forth again to get a good seal and that was it. I am setting it aside for 24 hours.



Here the knot has been set. Ready to dry.
Update: October 11, 2015

Test lather with Proraso.

Rinsed and towel dried. Ready to bloom.



No comments:

Post a Comment