Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Making a NEW Handle

I got a Gillette NEW LC razor that was in terrible condition. It was very cruddy, and the handle was split. I was hoping I could clean up the head and the handle ends and perhaps make a new wooden handle. Here is what I did to make a handle.

I cut a piece of pine and rounded it using my Dremel.


I found the center and made a pilot hole using a 1/8 inch bit.


Using a 1/8 inch cutter, I opened the hole to about 1/4 inch. Then I changed to a larger cutter bit and enlarged the hole until I could fit the ends into the handle.


Here I have the ball end fitted in the bottom.


Here I have both ends fitted into the handle. Next, I put some shape into the handle.


Here, I have tapered the ends into the fittings and given the handle a waist.


Same handle, just the other side. Next, I will be doing some finishing sanding and then stain and finish with polyurethane. After it has dried, I will glue the ends in with epoxy.


At the recommendation of a fellow TSDer, I stained the handle with ebony stain to contrast with the brass. This is the first coat. I will do it again tomorrow to try to get it darker and then polyurethane it.




No comments:

Post a Comment