Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Jayaruh #304

This brush was commissioned by a fellow shaver on TSD. It is made from locust wood, and it will eventually get a 30mm boar knot.

Here is the blank.

In the lathe and ready to go.

Starting to take shape.




The section at the top measures about 30mm across.

I drilled out the center with a 1 inch Forstner bit.

I used a sanding drum to open the hole until the top section fell away.
That gave me a 30mm opening.


There is a surface crack on one side. I will fill that and sand it down. 
After I completed this handle, I made another from the remaining piece of locust wood I have. It will be my back up if I am not satisfied with this one.

Update:

The 30mm boar knot was ordered from Whipped Dog and is being processed now.

The handle on the left is the handle from above. The one on the right is the second one I made. They are brothers from the same block.



Here they are after the first coat of polycrylic.


Update: Jayaruh #304 completed

The 30mm boar knot arrived today. Here it is dry fitted.


I wasted no time getting it set with epoxy.




This Whipped Dog boar knot came with a packet of Oxi Clean that I used to wash it. This is a very soft boar knot, and I did not notice much natural smell from it. After I thoroughly rinsed it, I applied some American Crew Hair Conditioner. I massaged it throughout the knot and then rinsed it one more time. I towel dried the knot, and then I took this picture. This is going to be a great brush I believe. I will give it a day to dry and then send it out to Cleave.




No comments:

Post a Comment