Friday, April 7, 2017

Gem Jr. Lather Catcher

I am making a trade for a Gem Jr. Lather Catcher. Here are some pictures I can look at until it arrives.

There are seven blades and a stropper handle extension.


Here is the top of the razor with the G.


Side view of the lather catcher.


Instructions for stropping.


Gem Junior blade.


The box is a bit worn on the outside. It is over a hundred years old.


March 30, 2017

I just bought this print on eBay. This razor is actually 1907 or earlier. The ad is from 1907 and references unsolicited letter of 1906 (see below ad).

The ad includes the following testimonial letter.

Just One of Hundreds of Unsolicited Letters Received Every Week:

THE BROWN PALACE HOTEL,                         Denver, Colo., Nov. 10, 1906
GEM CUTLERY CO. --- Gentlemen: After having tried every well-known make of Safety Razor and meeting with poor success, I was prevailed upon to try your Gem Junior Dollar Razor. I am happy to say that the results were very gratifying, and I shall not hesitate to recommend the article to any gentleman wishing a smooth and comfortable shave.
Wishing you success, I am very truly yours, C. H. CHURCHILL,  Chief Clerk, The New Brown Hotel Company

Edit: Here are front and back views of one of the Gem Cutlery blades.

There were no cutouts on these old blades.

No comments:

Post a Comment