Monday, April 18, 2016

Jayaruh #61 Completed

I've got two sticks of wood I got from Gabe on TSD. One is Wenge and the other is walnut. I had begun the process of removing excess wood when I got the sticks. The walnut is in an octagon shape and the Wenge was a bit more refined towards a circle. I cut off a three inch piece from each stick and began to make them round. 



Before and after the rounding process.

 I shaped the top a bit and narrowed the neck of the handle. Then I began removing wood to make six flutes.

 Here the brush is taking shape as I have rounded the flutes on both ends.

 At this point, I am about to call it a day and clean up.  The last two pictures show the Wenge with its basic shape next to the walnut that remains a cylinder. Its day will come.


 Technically, Jayaruh #62 has begun with the rounding process complete. It will get its final shape in the next couple of days. JR#61, the Wenge, will get final sanding and shaping and receive its hole. Knot is to be determined.

Update: April 19, 2016

It was a beautiful day today, so I made the most of it. I set up under the car port to do my work. 

I mapped out the hole and created it using my method of drilling with a 1/8 inch drill and then removing the material between the holes. Then I used a drum sander to smooth it all out. The picture shows an old pure badger knot that I use when making holes. When I get the final knot, I will do a final fitting.




 After a lot of hand sanding, this is what I have.




Finally, I branded it with the JR 61, sealed it, and put the first coat of polyurethane on it.




Update: April 20, 2016

Painted the JR 61 and put another coat of poly on the handle.


Update: April 23, 2016

Knots came in today. I fit and set the knot with silicone.





No comments:

Post a Comment