Monday, April 4, 2016

Gabe's Brush



Gabe, on TSD, contacted me with a proposition. On impulse, he had purchased a lathe, tools, and some blanks to make some brush handles. On reflection, he decided he really didn't want to get into making things. So, he offered to send me the blanks if I would make him a handle from the Wenge wood. It sounded like a good deal to me. Well, today the package arrived, and he even threw in a puck of Williams Mug Shaving Soap. He also sent along the knot he wanted in the handle so I could get a good fit. I immediately pounced on the project. He wanted the handled to be the shape of the Jayaruh # 25.

[​IMG]

Package just opened.

I cut the blank down to 1.5 inches.

I took off the corners making it an octagon.

I took off those corners making it a 16-gon.

I cut a piece to length and made it round.

I marked off points and got the basic shape started.

I centered and marked the spot for a 25mm hole.

I drilled out inside the circle.

I cleaned out the hole. It is almost big enough here.

The knot now fits, but the hole needs to be deepened.
I ended up making the hole about 13mm deep.


Gabe wanted to do the finishing of the handle and setting of the knot.

Here is the handle in its finished shape.
We decided to designate it as the Jayaruh G-1.
It has been shipped and is on its way to its new home.

Update: April 22

Gabe ended up making the hole a bit deeper and using the same knot. It turned out very nice.




No comments:

Post a Comment