Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Donor Brushes

I have been using Omega 49 brushes for their excellent knots. I harvest them and put them in my 400 type brushes or barbershop type brushes. It has become an easier process as I have streamlined it.

I start wit new Omega 49 brushes. I received two in the mail today.


Take them out of the boxes.


I use my knife to pry the ferrule up from the handle about an eighth of an inch.


I then just pull the knot out of the handle. It may take a bit of wriggling, but it keeps the handle part in tact. I give these to the grandkids to play with.


I repeated the process, and now have two great knots. I have to remove the ferrules.


I put the ferrule in a vice, and using a hack saw, I saw down one side of the ferrule, turn it over, and saw down the opposite side.


Next, I use the screwdriver blade on my knife to pry the ferrule apart and remove it from the knot.


I repeated the process with the second knot.


Next, I take the knots to my belt sander and dress up the base so it will fit the new handle. One of this ended up in JR#337.



No comments:

Post a Comment