Thursday, September 20, 2018

Jayaruh #318

This brush handle was inspired by Joe on TSD. He had the knot fall out of his Vie Long brush, and instead of gluing it back in, he contacted me to make a new handle for him. His idea was for a bow tie shaped brush. I did not understand at first, but then he explained that the shape of the whole brush including the knot would be the shape of a bow tie. As soon as Florence passes by, I will get on it.

He will be sending the knot, and I will complete it then.

The knot


Concept shape for handle.
Update: Thursday, September 20

The knot arrived today. I had made a couple of test handles based on the pictures above. In the first picture is the handle that I turned in anticipation of the arrival of the knot. It was a little out of proportion for the knot. So, I decided to make one like it that was more in proportion to the knot. The wood is leopardwood and I am very happy with the way it accents the knot.

Knot with pre-turned handle.

Not happy with proportions.

I turned a new handle from leopardwood.

I am very happy with the new proportions.






I finished the handle by branding the bottom with JR 318 and then polycrylic. The following pictures are with the knot dry fitted.






Very interesting grain in the leopardwood.


No comments:

Post a Comment