Friday, September 21, 2018

The Making of Box 11 for Vashta T-400 and Knots

I am making this box for Joe in Georgia. It will be the home of a Vashta T-400 shaving brush and eight knots. I planned out the design using my T-400.  I bought a piece of Peru walnut for the project. 

Planning began September 11.

On the first day, I glued up a piece for the top and cut and glued the sides of the box. I also cut and glued the center piece. Today, I cut out the top and glued it to the box.


 After I cut the top off, I will cut the center piece so it will be flush with the bottom. Then I will cut the pieces for the inner walls.


It will have to wait now until Florence has passed us by. It will probably be Tuesday before I can get back to this project.

Update: Monday, September 17

I got the top trimmed and routed it with a Roman ogee.

Close up of Roman Ogee.

I cut the top off and sized the center piece.

I made partitions.

I reinforced the corners with maple inlays.

I made four feet to hold the box off the surface.


I still need to glue up the partitions. Joe is sending some chamois to line the inside with.



Update: Tuesday, September 18

 I glued all the partitions and fitted the hinges and latch.




This shows one of the four feet.






Update: Wednesday, September 19

I made a support for the handle in the middle.


I put the first coat of polycrylic on the box.







Update: Thursday, September 20

I sanded and put a second coat of polycrylic on the box. Then I cut out pieces of paper as templates for the chamois that would be delivered later in the day. The first picture shows the pieces of paper in place and the chamois  that arrived at 5 pm.


I cut out the pieces of chamois using the paper templates and glued them into the bottom. Then I glued in the support for the handle in the middle. So the next picture is after I finish lining the bottom with the chamois.


I decided to put hooks on the lid so that the chains can be unhooked if desired. I also added the second chain so it has more support when the lid is open.











Update: Friday, September 21

The name plate came in today. Here it is before fastening it with screws.



Here it is screwed down.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a wonderful job on this project! The design, wood selection and your craftsmanship is beyond what I could have imagined. I look forward to more of your boxes in the future!

    ReplyDelete