Thursday, November 16, 2017

Box #3

This is my latest attempt at a box. I started with a piece of 1x8 oak that I ripped into two equal pieces. I then split the 3/4 to make two pieces 1/2 x  3 3/4. I split that in half and got two pieces about 1/2 x 1 3/4. I used the 1 3/4 piece to make the sides of the box and the 3 3/4 piece to make the top and bottom of the box.



 After cutting the pieces, I rabbeted the corners. I sanded all the pieces and dry fit them. I then glued all the pieces together and clamped them making what looked like a block of wood. I let the glue dry and then sanded the outside again making all the joints smooth. Then, I cut through the "block" separating the top from the bottom. Then I added the hinges. It is ready for finishing now. I will use this for one of my razors.



The pictures at the top are actually the wood left over from the original board. I have enough left over from that board to make three more boxes of this size.

Update: November 19

I stained and sealed the box with red oak stain/sealer and put two coats of polycrylic on it. I made a little cutout from some foam to fit my 46-47 Aristocrat and a tuck of blades. Here it is.




Update: November 24, 2017



Update: August 13, 2018

This box is now the home of my Gillette NEW SC.




No comments:

Post a Comment