Thursday, September 7, 2017

New Handle for Old Schick

Alan on TSD posted these pictures asking members to identify this injector. I noticed the busted handle and offered to make him a new handle. He is going to send me the razor, and I will clean it up and fit it with a new wooden handle. It appears to be an Eversharp Schick G type injector.



Here is the plan. I have a piece of birdseye maple left over from a previous handle. I have traced off a handle on it. I had also previously drilled the hole in the end for the razor head. I will cut off the end and then start shaping the handle using my drum sander.





I used a drum sander to shape the blank.


Here it is after shaping. I have used an old E3 for the photos.







I decided to fancy it up a bit and make it more like the standard bakelite handle.






Then I finished it with satin finish polyurethane.



Update: September 8, 2017

Today I finished the handle with its third coat of polyurethane. Here are some pictures with my old E3 head on it. Alan has shipped off the original razor, and when it gets here, I will get it cleaned up and installed on this handle.















No comments:

Post a Comment