Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Jayaruh #217 Begins

This brush is an experiment. I have been thinking about adding weight to my handles in the form of a threaded rod embedded in the handle. I had a couple of brush handles that I used to experiment with today. The first was one that was an experimental handle that went astray. I cut off the top and left about a quarter of inch that I reshaped to accept a ferrule.


Next, I drilled down into the handle to make space for a piece of threaded rod.


Here is the piece of threaded rod.


I glued the threaded rod in the handle.


I cut the ferrule part off of a second handle that I had previously made and was not using.


I drilled the hole all of the way through the ferrule part.


I fitted the two pieces together and glued them.


I will build up the bottom for the knot to sit on. I have a Maggard Black & White coming. It may end up in this. The other knots I have are too small. I may even have to order a bigger knot for this.


 Here it is ready to be finished. I will let it sit and let the glue cure for a day before I work on it again.


I modified the handle by taking a little off the top and bottom and adding flutes on the side similar to an RS400.





Then I decided to paint it in black and green. Here it is after the first coat. I will finish it with a clear coat to make it shine.


Update: September 10, 2017

Completed with a Maggard 24mm Black & White synthetic.


No comments:

Post a Comment