Friday, September 22, 2017

Celtic Knot Handles

I got the idea for this from a pen turner. I glued up two blanks over two days, and today, I turned them into two handles. I used oak for the handle and purple heart for the "knot." I made a 35 degree cut and glued an eighth inch piece between the two pieces. I clamped it and let it dry. I made a total of four cuts along with gluing and clamping with 4 hours between for drying.

Here is the blank ready for turning.

Here it is after the basic shape is achieved.

I drilled a hole for the knot.

I am putting a Celtic knot button on the bottom, too.

Below are pictures of the second handle I turned using the same techniques. I have ordered some 24mm Maggard synthetic knots for these handles. I will finish the handles with a clear polycrylic finish.


Update: I put two coats of polycrylic on the handles. Now I am waiting on the two 24mm Maggard synthetic knots to finish them off.


No comments:

Post a Comment