I have always liked the wooden handles on the old lather catchers like the one below. I have wanted to make one for my Gem Jr. 1911 Lather Catcher. I thought about it a long time, and today, I decided to do an experiment. I had some 3/4 inch dowel stock, and I cut off a 2.5 inch piece. I had experimented on finding a screw that would work with my Gem. It turns out that a #8 sheet metal screw works great. I found the center of the dowel and drilled a pilot hole with my Yankee push drill. I screwed the screw down into the hole and cut it off with about a 1/4 inch showing.
Here it is with the head attached.
I have a one inch drum sander attached to my 1/2 inch drill motor, and I have that strapped down to a small horse stand I made for the purpose. Using that, I began to shape the handle.
Here, it is beginning to take shape. I free handed this handle. I have quite a bit of experience making brushes using this procedure, so this worked out pretty well.
I marked three spots on the handle to put some decorative rings.
Then, I did some initial finish sanding. I am going to have Tom White make me a ferrule to go on the top of the handle. That will provide strength and add a little bling to the handle.
I will make some more minor changes in the handle, but it is close to being finished.
Update: July 18, 2017
Tom White is making ferrules for my handles. In the mean time, I made two more handles on the lathe. I can hardly wait for the ferrules to arrive so I can put them all together.
|Ferrules by Tom.|
|The left handle was done with a lathe and the other two with a lathe.|
As it turns out, the Ever-Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher has the same threads as the Gem Jr. So, the handle will work on it, too.
OK, I forgot to update, so here goes. I finished three in black, one went to its owner unfinished, and the other two were clear finished mahogany.
|First shave with the new handle on my lather catcher.|