Saturday, April 25, 2015

New Brush Handle: Jayaruh #7

Today, I started a new brush handle. In the picture below, I took the time to take a new shot for each stage of the operation. I did this all in a couple of hours. I first cut a blank out in an octagonal shape. I used the router to route half way down four sides. I used the orbital sander to round off the corners and then routed a section around the center of the handle. I shaped the flutes on the handle and shortened the top by about 3/8 inch. I cut a flange just above the center and the top, tapering the top and bottom. Finally, I put a hole in the top for the knot and did a final sanding with fine sand paper.

All I have left to do is give it a finish and set it with a new knot, but that's it for today.


April 27, 2015

I decided to go for a different look with this handle. The top, I stained with a dark walnut while the bottom, I did with a golden pecan.  So here it is with the stain on the left and with a coat of polyurethane on the right. 



First coat of polyurethane and o-ring.
Dry fit badger.
April 30, 2015

Today, I widened the hole to accept a 24mm knot. David, over at TSD, will be getting this brush. He has ordered a Silver Tip Badger from Whipped Dog to go in it. When it arrives, I will do a final fit and glue it in. Then it will go to its new home. I really like this handle. It has a great feel.



May 12, 2015

I received the silver tip badger knot from Whipped Dog yesterday. I made the hole a bit deeper and today, I set the knot with epoxy. It is all done, and I will be shipping it off to David of Central Florida tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment