Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Made Rite Shaving Brushes


I went to the mail today and found I had a shaving surprise.  There was  box with this Made Rite brush inside. It came as a total surprise. A little over a month ago, I was communicating with a fellow shaver in California. He had just got a fat handled tech and this brush in an auction on eBay. He was after the razor, not the brush. Well, I said that if the brush was in the way, I would love to give it a good home. I forgot all about it, and today, BAM, the brush arrives. I am going to clean it up and re-knot it. A guy on Badger and Blade forum restored a similar brush. Click here to see.

Thanks again, Reuben.

Step one: remove the bristles.


Step two: clean up and buff (here I am restoring another Made Rite bursh at the same time)


Step three: order knots from The Golden Nib

  • I ordered a three band synthetic for the red handle.
  • I ordered a boar for the white handle replacing a boar knot.

Step four: fit and glue the knots




Step five: give it a day for the glue to set (I used 5 minute Gorilla epoxy)

Step six: test lather
I didn't test lather the synthetic. I just went ahead and did a shave. I used C. O. Bigelow Shave Cream. It was a good shave. The brush was a little skritchy though.

Made Rite Synthetic

I did do two test lathers with the boar. I bowl lathered with Van Der Hagen Deluxe soap. Being a boar I figured it may require some breaking in time. It did a fine job of creating copious amounts of lather. I used it today and it performed very well. I am looking forward to using it for a week or so. We shall see how it may bloom.

Made Rite Boar
I added o-rings to each of the brushes.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome! I'm excited to make myself a Cholula-cap brush like yours, and using Cholula as fast as I can...

    ReplyDelete