Monday, May 26, 2014

Finally Got My Fatboy

May 25, 2014
I have been on the lookout for a fatboy for about a year now in antique stores and yard sales. It was the last vintage razor on my list of razors to get. I have made a number of bids on eBay over that time, but I was always outbid. I was unwilling to pay the price. Tonight, I was finally successful in landing the Gillette Fatboy (195). It was manufactured from 1958-1961. This one is an F2, which means that it was manufactured in the second quarter of 1960. I can hardly wait to get it, clean it up, and give it a go. The 195 was the first of the Gillette adjustables. It was followed by the Slim. I have a Slim, and it is a great shaver. The consensus is that the Slim and the 195 are almost identical in their performance. The 195 (nicknamed the Fatboy) has a fatter handle that is a little shorter than the Slim. These are pictures taken from the auction.





Estimated delivery, May 31. BUT, I was surprised with a Thursday, May 29 delivery.

Here are pictures: cleaned up and ready to go. It had a couple of alignment issues, but I believe I have corrected them sufficiently. I will find out tomorrow. 





F2 date code, second quarter 1960

No comments:

Post a Comment