Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My Gillette New

We are in Hendersonville, NC, today, and I found this Gillette New (model 134), first sold in 1930.  As a bonus, it also had its razor safe. This razor preceded the tech razor. Anyhow, I got it back to the motel and cleaned it up, put a Derby Extra in it, and tried it out. This is the only open comb Gillette I have, so I was a little cautious. That was unnecessary, though. What a good shave! I just find it amazing that these old razors do so well. 

Of course, modern blades are part of that equation. I have read reviews of the Gillette Blue Blades which were from this era. They get one or two shaves and that is it. They are about as good as the worst available blades today. The one shown below is a P3 which means it was manufactured in 1945, third quarter. Blade technology has come a long way since then. However, the razors were built to last. I have about nine vintage razors in my collection now, and each one has its own character and is fun to shave with.




No comments:

Post a Comment