Thursday, June 8, 2017

1905 Gillette Double Ring

The wife and I went to a new vintage store today. It was pretty awesome. Too much to see. I missed the shaving section. On the way out I mentioned that if they ever got any shaving related stuff I would like to know. "Oh, you didn't see our shaving section," she replied.

Well, I followed her over to a nook that had quite a few razors: Valet, Gem, Schick, Gillette, and a few straights. There were three vintage brushes too. Evidently they had belonged to an old gentleman who had just passed away a couple of weeks ago. The "booth" was run my him and his wife. She still maintained it. Anyhow, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this Gillette Double Ring. This is the first one I have ever seen in real life. I also could not believe what I saw on the tag: 25-. I took it to the clerk and asked her about it. She said it was $25. I said, "I'll take it."

Below are the pictures I took after getting it home. After the pictures I cleaned up the razor. It is silver, so the tarnish remains, but I will get some silver polish and get rid of that.




The serial number, 225238, indicates that it was made in 1905.
This razor is 112 years old. Wow.
After the initial cleaning, here is what it looks like:





Update: June 9, 2017

Before initial polishing and  the sale tag.


After initial polishing with Wright's Silver Cream,




After polishing, the results are stunning.












No comments:

Post a Comment