Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Jayaruh #333 and #334

On November 9, Tom over on TSD PMed me with a proposition. He had this hybrid blank (stabilized wood and alumilite) and was wondering if I could fine a couple of chubby style brush handles in it. I said that I'd give it a shot if he was up to it since I had never worked with a blank like that before. So, he said as soon as he got it he would send it off to me. While I was waiting on the blank, I had an accident and cut off the end of my pointer finger. So it finally arrived on November 15. I was still healing. On November 19 I started preparing the blank. The first picture is where I had trimmed off the corners to prepare it for turning.


I put it on the lathe and just took off the corners getting it round all the way across.


The blank set until I healed some more. Then I had a fall, and injured my wrists. So, I needed some more time to heal them. Today, December 19, the weather got up to 52 and it was pretty, so I set up the lathe and finished the handles off.





I am finishing the handles with some glossy polycrylic. I will be engraving the numbers on the bottom next.



Here they are with dry fitted knots: silvertip badger, two-band badger, tuxedo synthetic.




No comments:

Post a Comment