Saturday, September 3, 2016

New Wood: Pau Ferro


I got this stick of Pau Ferro in the mail today. It is a gift from Rob in Canadia. He has three of my brushes, and now it looks like I am making him a fourth. Thanks, Rob, for the wood. It is beautiful.

Libidibia ferrea, formerly Caesalpinia ferrea, and commonly known as pau ferro, Brazilian ironwood, or leopard tree, is a tree found in Brazil and Bolivia.

The first thing I noticed was that it was a heavy piece of wood. Fortunately, I have a new saw blade, and it did a great job of cutting it down to size. I first cut a length and then cut it into a square shape: 1 1/2 inch.


Next, I took off the corners making it an octagonal shape.


 Then, I cut cut it into three different lengths. Now, I have three potential brush handles.


No comments:

Post a Comment