Saturday, September 3, 2016

Jayaruh #103

I received a piece of Brazilian ironwood today from my friend Rob in Canadia. I cut it into workable lengths and set it aside for later. I was going to start working with it next Tuesday, but my mind would not stop working, so I decided I might as well do something about it. So, here is what I did today. I began Jayaruh #103. It will go to Rob when finished.


I started by cutting a length of wood and then cutting it down to a square form 1.5x1.5 inches.


I next cut the corners off to make an octagonal shape.


I cut it into three lengths. The tall one is the one I used for this handle. I had been thinking about using my "new to me" lathe to make a handle, and today was the day it would come to fruition.


Here is the handle being turning and almost done. The second picture is about ready to come off.


Here the handle has been taken off the lathe and the hole for the knot has been made using my Dremel. It is the size of a quarter which will take a 24mm knot.


 Here is the handle on the table next to my chair. I am knot poor right now or I would at least put some knot in it for a glamour shot. So, the #103 will get its finish next and get branded, then it will be sitting around until it gets its knot.


Update: September 4

I sanded it down and coated it with its first coat of Minwax Polycrylic, a water based clear finish.


Here is the second coat. One to go...


After the third coat, it is ready to go.









No comments:

Post a Comment