Tuesday, February 12, 2013

5 Minute Shave from Lather to Rinse


I just watched a video by Geofatboy of Shave Nation about a 5 minute Muhle R41 shave from lather to rinse. He did a face lather and jumped in with a one pass shave. It was a quick in and out shave. I was impressed and decided to try that myself. I used Proraso with a Parker black badger brush and my EJ89 razor with Derby Extra blade. I usually lather in a bowl and do two or three passes, so this was a new experiment for me. I was very pleased with the lather I was able to produce right on my face. I soaked my brush, shook it off and did 10 swirls in the Proraso and went straight to the face. I did one small dip in water and got a great lather. I did one pass and a touch up on my neck. It was a quick shave indeed. I was very impressed. I finished up with a cold water rinse, witch hazel, and Aqua Velva.

I made the following video with a kit I put together to give to my son.



Update: February 20
I have been trying different soaps with this technique, and I have been successful with all. The only real difference from my usual shaving routine is that I am face lathering instead of bowl lathering. So, I am saving probably 2 to 3 minutes because I skip the bowl and bowl clean up time.  Even with face lathering I have enough lather in the brush to do a second pass and touch ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment